Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

A woman in her 50s was taken to a hospital with respiratory injuries suffered when a fire broke out Monday in the kitchen of her third-story San Clemente apartment, an Orange County Fire Authority captain said.

The fire was reported at 7 p.m. in the top floor of the building in the 300 block of Avenida Granada, according to Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi.

Thirty firefighters responded and had the fire under control by 7:15 p.m., Concialdi said.

The woman “left something on the stove,” he said. “Neighbors heard the smoke alarms and pounded on her door. The woke her up and got her out. She suffered respiratory tract burns.”

The woman was taken in serious condition to the burn unit at OC Global Medical Center, formerly Western Medical Center.

“By the time of delivery, she was doing better and was in moderate status,” Concialdi said. “She did suffer from respiratory injury that could be very serious. Our lungs cannot take the hot gasses that are in smoke.”

About $30,000 damage was done to the apartment structure and about $10,000 to its contents, he said. No other units were damaged.

“This is why the Orange County Fire Authority recommends that you always stand by your pan,” Concialdi said. “If you leave the room, shut the burner off.”

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.