A fire blamed on faulty electrical wiring damaged a Riverside restaurant, authorities said Monday.

The fire was reported at 9:22 p.m. Sunday in the 4000 block of Victoria Avenue, Battalion Chief Tony Perna said.

Light smoke was showing from inside the single story building and the attic when firefighters arrived, Perna said. They located a small electrical fire in the attic and quickly put it out.

The trouble didn’t stop there, he said. “There was active electrical wires arcing,” Perna said. “The wiring in the attic appeared faulty and extension cords were used in place of hard wiring.”

Utility workers were called to shut off power to the building, he said.

Once the power was shut off, firefighters were able to determine the fire resulted from the manager welding a piece of steel to a support beam and “the welder drew too many amps through the faulty wiring and extension cords,” Perna said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *