A ruptured gas line in Coachella Wednesday that sparked a fire and prompted evacuations was confined to the meter and caused no damage to a nearby building.
The leak was reported at 4:20 p.m. in the 50000 block of Cesar Chavez Street, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.
The department said there were “active flames up against a masonry commercial structure,” but indicated the structure was not threatened, and that the leak was confined to the meter.
A department spokeswoman said no explosions were reported.
Southern California Edison crews were on scene attempting to stop the leak as of 5:30 p.m.
About 6:45 p.m., the fire department said the gas leak had been stopped and all evacuations were lifted.
A 300-foot evacuation perimeter had been established around the leak by Riverside County sheriff’s deputies.
There was no immediate word on what ruptured the line.
No injuries were reported.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: