A pursuit that began in Anaheim and topped speeds of 100 mph as the suspect tried to elude authorities in three counties came to a bizarre end Monday when the driver abandoned the vehicle in Jurupa Valley and ran off, while the driver of a second vehicle sped away and was detained in Colton.

Despite initial confusion, Anaheim police confirmed late Monday afternoon that the original suspect had been taken into custody in Jurupa Valley.

According to Anaheim police Sgt. Daron Wyatt, an officer spotted a dark-colored Toyota Camry shortly after noon and determined that it had a stolen license plate — leading police to speculate that the Camry itself had been stolen. The officer tried to pull over the driver, who responded by speeding away at speeds that topped 100 mph.

The driver got onto the eastbound 91 Freeway and sped into Riverside County and into the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County, before he turned around and drove back into the Riverside area. At times the agitated driver — who may have had a passenger in the vehicle — tossed items out of the window as he drove.

He occasionally drove on the wrong side of the street and maneuvered around traffic as he circled streets in Riverside County, ultimately winding up in Jurupa Valley, where he came to a stop and ran from the car and through the parking lot of an industrial building.

The man disappeared from sight, but then a second vehicle, also a dark-colored sedan, pulled out of the parking lot. A woman jumped into a rear passenger seat and the driver turned out of the parking lot, then came to a stop on the street, where the woman jumped out again and got down on the street face-down, surrendering to police.

A videographer who was following the case released footage showing the occupants of the second vehicle, with the driver saying he was not the suspect in the original chase. It was at that point that the woman in the back seat got out and surrendered.

The driver of the second vehicle then sped off, sparking speculation the original suspect may have jumped into that car. Police pursued the vehicle into the Colton area, where the driver came to a stop and surrendered around 2:30 p.m. A female passenger then got out of the car and surrendered, but the original suspect was not in the vehicle.

Officers did find an infant in the car, strapped into a car seat.

Police cordoned off the business where the original suspect abandoned the allegedly stolen vehicle. Anaheim police confirmed around 4 p.m. that the suspect — who apparently changed clothes and tried to sneak away from the scene — had been taken into custody.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.