Arcadia shooting
Wounded officer in Arcadia being loaded into ambulance. Courtesy KeyNews.TV

After a five-hour standoff, police took a man into custody Thursday after he allegedly opened fire at a home in Arcadia, hitting a police officer in the face. Two other people were also wounded, and all were taken to the hospital .

It began as a dispute between two brothers.

The situation unfolded around 5:40 p.m. in the 2500 block of Greenfield Avenue, where two brothers got into a dispute that led to a call to law enforcement, who responded to the scene, according to Arcadia police Lt. Brett Bourgeous.

As officers were approaching the home, someone from inside opened fire, striking one officer in the face, authorities said. Two other people were also wounded — one believed to have been shot in the upper body and another who may have received shrapnel wounds from the shooting, authorities said. One of the wounded people is a relative of the suspect, but the exact relationship was unknown.

The officer and two other victims — one male and one female — were taken to a hospital, but there was no immediate update on their condition late Wednesday night. Another officer appeared to have suffered a minor ankle injury during the initial outbreak of gunfire.

All of the victims were expected to survive, according to media reports.

Bourgeous said the officers who came under fire while approaching the home did not return fire.

A standoff ensued as the shooting suspect barricaded inside the residence, with Bourgeous saying investigators believed he had access to multiple weapons. There were early reports that the suspect may have had some type of chemicals in the home, but Bourgeous said he could not confirm those reports.

A child was also initially inside the residence, but was removed from the home, and no other children were inside during the standoff, Bourgeous said.

Nearby residents were either evacuated or told to shelter in place as police and a sheriff’s department special enforcement team worked to negotiate the suspect’s surrender.

The standoff continued until authorities fired a flash-bang device at the home, prompting the suspect to walk out of the home with his hands raised, surrendering to officers and deputies.

The identity of the wounded officer was not immediately released. Bourgeous said the officer had been with the department for about six months, but had about three years of overall law enforcement experience, having previously served with the sheriff’s department.

The suspected gunman is expected to face attempted murder and gun-related charges.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.