The death of rapper Takeoff, who is part of the Atlanta song trio Migos, means future proceedings in a lawsuit brought by a woman who alleges the singer raped her will proceed against the singer’s estate, an attorney for the plaintiff said Tuesday.

The woman is identified only as Jane Doe in the Van Nuys Superior Court complaint brought in August 2020. She alleged Takeoff, whose real name was Kirshnik Khari Ball, sexually assaulted during a party in an Encino home on June 23, 2020.

One of Doe’s lawyers, Sam N. Simantob, expressed sympathy for relatives of the 28-year-old performer, who was shot to death Tuesday morning at a Houston bowling alley.

“We are in disbelief,” Simantob said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to Takeoff’s family. He is yet another unnecessary death from senseless gun violence.”

Takeoff’s death, however, “does not negate the fact that our client was raped and suffered a tragedy of her own,” Simantob said, adding that in most such situations the defendant’s estate is substituted in place of the person who dies and the litigation continues.

Doe’s lawyers had been attempting to depose Takeoff before he died.

“It is necessary to depose defendant in this action because he is a crucial witness to the events alleged in this action,” Doe’s lawyers argued in their court papers.

According to the lawsuit, throughout the night Takeoff made several advances at Doe that she rejected. She later went to a bedroom to lie down, but despite her making it clear to the performer that she was not interested, he followed her into the bedroom and “forced himself on her and engaged in sexual intercourse,” the suit alleges.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *