City Controller Ron Galperin said Tuesday he is launching a review of homeless tent and encampment policies.
Galperin made the announcement hours before the annual Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count was set to get underway.
“As the city prepares to embark on its annual homeless count, we must evaluate if we are doing everything we can to be responsive to the plight of our homeless as well as balancing the need for L.A.’s public spaces to be safe, sanitary and accessible for all,” Galperin said.
“The status quo is an injustice and a disservice to the health, safety and quality of life of our homeless — and of all Angelenos,” he said.
Last year, the city amended part of its municipal code and gave LAPD and other agencies the power to confiscate and destroy homeless people’s property.
“Regrettably, since adoption of the revised strategies, codes and protocols, the proliferation of personal property and encampments have gotten worse — not better,” Galperin said.
“The intent of adopting a more sensible and streamlined (municipal code) was to see enhanced cleanliness, public safety and to better meet the needs of the homeless through appropriate outreach efforts,” he said. “I haven’t seen any of these actually occur.”
The review will focus on how well the new municipal code policy is working and evaluate best practices of different city departments.
–City News Service