A massage therapist who sued actor Kevin Spacey in Los Angeles for alleged sexual battery has died, but an attorney for the masseur said Wednesday her client’s “fight for justice is still very much alive.”
Lawyers for Spacey filed a notice of the plaintiff’s death in federal court on Tuesday. The document states that the plaintiff’s attorney contacted Spacey’s legal team last week to report the death.
“No further information or details have been given to (Spacey’s) counsel, but plaintiff’s counsel stated they intend to notify the court with additional information at an appropriate time in the future,” the notice said.
Spacey was sued last year in Superior Court by the masseur, who alleged the “House of Cards” actor groped him while he was giving Spacey a private massage in Malibu in 2016. The lawsuit, filed on behalf of “John Doe,” was moved to federal court in January.
In a statement released to several media outlets, attorney Genie Harrison said: “I regret being forced to respond to Kevin Spacey’s undignified, insensitive and inappropriate public filing of the notice of death of our client, John Doe.”
She said her client’s “untimely death was, to his family, a devastating shock that they are struggling to process and is so recent that they have not yet held his funeral service. Out of professional responsibility, we notified Spacey’s counsel of Mr. Doe’s passing.”
The therapist alleged in the complaint that Spacey grabbed the plaintiff’s hand and pulled it toward his crotch to force a sex act. The lawsuit, which Doe’s attorney signaled will be continued by his estate, sought unspecified damages on allegations of sexual battery, gender violence, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Spacey, 60, has been accused by more than a dozen men of sexual misconduct. In July, sexual assault charges in Massachusetts involving an 18-year-old man were dropped.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: