Photo via http://womenpla.net/
Photo via http://womenpla.net/

Sex forever? Maybe, but most starry-eyed romantics are certain their love will never end.

That’s the takeaway from a new survey by an Irvine market research firm that found about 85 percent of people polled — men, women, gay, straight, black, white, Hispanic —  who are currently in committed relationships are certain they’ll be with their partners forever.

Great expectations, but a lot of those people will end up in tears with broken relationships, as academic research predicts 40 percent of new marriages will fail, according to research company MFour.

“You can’t quantify love, but since survey data is MFour’s business, we decided to try,” the company said in a statement. “We surveyed 400 men and 400 women, ages 18 to 70, who are currently in a relationship.”

Here are the results:

  • Asked if they’d be with their partner forever, 60.6 percent chose “Yes, absolutely” and 25 percent picked “Yes, most likely” – a combined optimism rate of 85.6 percent. Only 3.9 percent picked “no,” with 10.5 perecent “not sure.”
  • Optimism was especially strong among married respondents (93.1 percent), but still prevalent for others (78 percent).
  • Romantic optimism cut across categories: men (84.8 percent), women (85.6 percent), heterosexuals (86.1 perecent), gays/lesbians (81.3 percent), bisexuals (85.2 percent), whites (89 percent), African Americans (81.4 percent), Hispanics (78.8 percent) and Asian Americans (80 percent).
  • It prevailed for both the young (83.8 percent of those 18-34) and the middle-aged (88.1 percent for 35-70).

In other findings:

  • Asked who typically wins when couples argue, 64 percent said that they and their partner come out “about even.”
  • In the 36 percent of relationships where arguments don’t come out evenly, women usually win: women (23.3 percent) were more than twice as likely as men (10.9 percent) to say they typically win disputes.
  • 62.9 percent of respondents in male-female relationships said they would be “very comfortable” or “somewhat comfortable” if their partner had a “very attractive” friend of the opposite sex.
  • Women reported more uneasiness than men – 42.7 perecent said they’d be uncomfortable, compared to 31.6 percent of men.

“Do these results make love any less mysterious? Probably not,” speculated MFour. “Will the data add some interesting grist to the never-ending conversation about love? We certainly hope it will.”

MFour Mobile Research, Inc. describes itself as doing surveys with its “Surveys On the Go” app that is “the most-downloaded and highest-rated survey app in the US.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.