The brush fire that broke out earlier this week and damaged homes in Pacific Palisades was 75% contained Saturday morning with 42 acres burned.

The fire was reported about 10:40 a.m. Monday near the 500 block of Palisades Drive, according to Nicholas Prange of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

“Firefighters will remain on scene to ensure wind gusts do not spread embers outside of our containment lines,” Prange said in a morning update.

The fire damaged eight homes and prompted temporary evacuations of 628 more, according to the LAFD. Those orders were lifted about 8 p.m. Monday.

Because of continued progress, the number of assigned firefighters was reduced Friday morning from 115 to 40, Prange said.

Officials reported that one civilian was taken to a hospital with respiratory issues. One first-responder, reported by a media outlet to be an inmate firefighter, was also taken to a hospital after being overcome by the heat Monday.

The cause of the fire was undetermined. It started at the base of Palisades Drive and burned through about 18 acres within 15 minutes, LAFD Capt. Cody Weireter said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *