Port of Los Angeles Executive Director Gene Seroka said Thursday that the shipyard’s operations are running “smoothly and without disruption,” and the port anticipates increased cargo volumes for April compared to March.
Despite the increase, the port anticipates cargo volumes will still be lower than this time last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“With labor shifts down 17% from the average over the past 39 months, we recognize the hardship that many of you are feeling due to our troubled economy,” Seroka said. “Together, we will get through this crisis.
“In the meantime, our executive team and staff are routinely talking with manufacturing, retail and agricultural interests, both importers and exporters, to stay updated on their recovery plans and ensure that our supply chain is positioned to help them in the coming months,” he said.
The port director mentioned a new agreement with the company Honeywell to purchase 24 million N95 masks through the Logistics Victory Los Angeles initiative. Logistics Victory pairs manufacturers with health care facilities and businesses deemed essential during the pandemic to obtain personal protective equipment.
He said the agreement will create local manufacturing jobs and help employers of high-risk, essential workers secure masks at a competitive market rate.
Seroka also thanked Harbor Freight for donating gloves, spray bottles for disinfectant and 9,500 face shields to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
A video of Seoka’s statements and more information on the port’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic is at portofla.org/covid19.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: