[symple_googlemap title=”Donuts in Pico Rivera” location=”6000 Rosemead Boulevard, Pico Rivera, CA” height=”300″ zoom=”15″]

A man who was seen doing donuts on a Pico Rivera ball field allegedly rammed a sheriff’s department cruiser with his pickup truck Monday morning, triggering a deputy-involved shooting in which no one was hit, authorities said.

The shooting occurred around 8:45 a.m. in the 6000 block of Rosemead Boulevard, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

A deputy responded to the scene to investigate a report of a suspicious person in a pickup truck doing donuts on a baseball field, according to the sheriff’s department.

“Seeing that the reckless act showed no regard for public safety at the popular park, the deputy immediately ordered the suspect to stop,” according to a sheriff’s statement. “The suspect did not comply with orders and instead sideswiped the deputy’s patrol vehicle with his silver-colored, dual sport Toyota pickup truck.

“The suspect then drove around the radio car and rammed the deputy’s patrol vehicle head-on, twice. As the deputy tried to reverse and secure a safe distance from the suspect’s assault, a subsequent deputy-involved shooting occurred.”

Backup arrived and the suspect was again ordered to surrender, but the man, whose name was not immediately released, refused to comply and allegedly charged the approaching deputies on foot.

“A Taser was then utilized to gain the suspect’s compliance, however it was ineffective and as a violent struggle ensued, takedown tactics were exercised and the suspect was successfully controlled and taken into custody,” the sheriff’s statement said.

A witness told reporters that the man was also spotted driving recklessly on the field the previous day, and a 7-year-old child had come close to being hit.

Three deputies sustained minor injuries and were taken to a hospital. The suspect was taken to a hospital to be medically cleared before booking, according to the sheriff’s department, which reported that he remained at the hospital hours later.

His condition was not disclosed.

— City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *