The garden at an elementary school in Silver Lake has been closed after students became ill after eating some vegetables grown there.
The garden is also available to residents of the nearby community, but there was no word if any non-students had become sick.
There was no word of how ill the affected students had become. In some cases, ingesting certain mushrooms can be fatal.
“We recently learned that a small number of students at Micheltorena Street Elementary School became ill after eating vegetables from a community garden located on their campus. Our thoughts are with these children and their families as we await more information on their condition,” according to a statement from Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent Michelle King.
The district has closed the garden and a team from its Office of Environmental Health and Safety is investigating, King said.
“In addition, in an abundance of caution, I have directed our safety team to inspect every district garden for potential hazards,” she said.
A parent told ABC7 his child became ill and required hospitalization after eating a mushroom Wednesday that was given to him by someone at the garden that is also available for use by residents who live near the school.
The Micheltorena School and Community Garden is a shared project between the school and community, says the school website. The garden is at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Micheltorena Street.
“Every Saturday, the garden is open for all to visit, smell the flowers, and chat with the neighbors, or dig into the ground and pull some weeds, turn some compost, or take a class!” the site adds. “During the summer months, the garden opens at 7pm every Thursday for a community potluck.”
— City News Service contributed to this report.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: