[symple_googlemap title=”Irvine fire” location=”Burke near Fillmore, Irvine, CA” height=”300″ zoom=”16″]

A fire that broke out in the garage of a two-story home in Irvine and spread to an upstairs bedroom, displacing four people and causing more than $100,000 in damage, was sparked by multi-plug adapters linked together, authorities said Wednesday.

The blaze on Burke near Fillmore was reported about 7:25 p.m. Tuesday, said Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Capt. Steve Concialdi.

The fire was caused by three multi-plug adapters that were daisy-chained together as they were being used to power Christmas lights, Concialdi said. The middle adapter failed, causing the fire.

Four adults were displaced and will be assisted by the Red Cross in finding temporary shelter, Concialdi said. No injuries were reported, he said.

About 30 firefighters responded to the blaze, which was brought under control at 8:20 p.m., but not before it did about $75,000 in damage to the structure and another $35,000 to its contents, Concialdi said.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.