Photo via OnSceneTV
Photo via OnSceneTV

Rain is expected in the Southland Tuesday and Thursday, and high winds will sweep the region, forecasters said Monday.

A number of storms will be crossing the state, and the highest chances of rain resulting from their passage will be from  Santa Barbara County northward and in the San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles and Ventura counties, according to a National Weather Service statement.

Also expected is “moderate to locally strong northwest winds” over the mountains and through the Antelope Valley Tuesday into Wednesday, it said.

Then, a colder storm system will drop southward across California on Thursday, likely triggering light to moderate rainfall, the statement said.

“However, the main impact from this storm will be much colder air and increasing northerly winds Thursday night into Friday,” it said.

The approaching weather systems will create a potential for snowfall as low as 3,000 feet and for icy road conditions for holiday travelers on mountain roadways, especially the Interstate 5 Corridor, the statement said, adding the storms will also bring a long period of elevated-to-high surf to the Central Coast, where there could be minor coastal flooding.

The NWS said there is a 20 percent chance of rain in the Los Angeles area after midnight but 60 percent during daytime hours Tuesday, followed by 20 percent Tuesday night. There will also be a chance of rain Thursday.

The NWS forecast mostly cloudy skies Monday, no rain, and highs of 56 in Palmdale; 57 in Lancaster; 61 in Avalon; 63 at LAX, and in Burbank, Newport Beach, Saugus, Mission Viejo, Laguna Beach and San Clemente; 64 in Pasadena, San Gabriel, Long Beach; 64 in Yorba Linda and Irvine; 66 in Anaheim; 65 in downtown L.A.; 66 in Woodland Hills.

Temperature highs will be in the 60s most of the week but dip into the high 50s Friday in several communities, other than the Antelope Valley, where highs in the 50s will prevail this week. Entirely sunny skies are forecast Saturday and Sunday.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.