[symple_googlemap title=”48th Street and Ascot Avenue” location=”48th Street and Ascot Avenue” height=”300″ zoom=”15″]

A 16-year-old boy who was carrying a replica handgun when he was shot and killed by police in South Los Angeles made the 911 call that brought officers to his location and appears to have been bent on suicide, Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.

Daniel Perez was shot about 5 p.m. Sunday near 48th Street and Ascot Avenue and died at a hospital.

Beck said the following day that officers had been sent to the area on a report of a man with a gun, possibly a Beretta, and eventually saw a person matching the description of the gunman.

Thursday, Beck said the cell phone used to make the 911 call belonged to Perez and at least one of his parents believe it’s the teen’s voice that was recorded by dispatch.

“His cell phone was used to call police dispatch immediately prior to the officer-involved shooting and describe a report of a man with a gun matching his own description,” Beck said. “Based on the actions of Daniel Perez, his call to 911, a farewell note he left to his family and some of his prior history as reported by his family, we believe that this officer-involved shooting was a result of his desire to end his own life.”

It took officers about 20 minutes from the time of the 911 call to reach Perez, a delay Beck blamed on dispatcher confusion over the gunman’s description.

“We are deeply saddened by these events and my heart goes out to his family, as well as to the officer involved in this shooting,” Beck said. That officer ” is devastated, as you can well imagine,” he said.

Earlier this week, Beck said that as officers approached the suspect, he “turned and pointed a handgun at the officers, at which time there was an officer-involved shooting.”

Officers recovered the weapon that Perez had in his possession, which turned out to be a replica gun, which “had the orange tip colored by black paint or a black felt pen, in order to conceal the fact that it is a replica,” the chief said.

Beck said the officers were wearing body-worn video cameras, and he viewed the video Monday morning.

“It clearly supports the officers’ prior statements and versions of this incident, and it clearly refutes any reports that this individual … was shot while he was laying on the ground,” Beck said. “That did not happen.”

Neither the body-worn camera video nor the 911 recording will be immediately released because of the ongoing use-of-force investigation, police said today.

City News Service 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.